Saturday 23 September 2017

Paperific Expo Melbourne


Hello,
Deena here with you today.
 
I cannot believe that it was a month ago that I was at Paperific here in Melbourne. I hadn't attend a show in years certainly not since it has been at the Royal Melbourne Show Grounds. This experience was totally different as I was actually working. If you call standing around talking to lots of friendly people and sitting and getting messy work, then yes I was working. When it came to saying goodbye I didn't want to leave, I had an amazing time meeting and working sided by side with Kylie and Darryl who own and run Shop and Crop Scrapbooking and also having a blast with fellow design team member Donna. I love making cards and I will keep doing it but watching Donna create was the next level. You can find the cards Donna made at Paperific HERE.
 
So what did I get to play with? I played with Expo Kit No. 4. which was designed by another design team member, the talented and gorgeous Elisa.
 
 
 
Instead of creating a layout a created a mixed media canvas (canvas not included in kit)
To start the canvas I spread a layer of gesso unevenly over the surface of the canvas. The reason for this was because I wanted to create texture (I love texture and layers) and I wanted to stamp into the wet gesso to create more texture.
 
I dried the gesso with a heat gun then using the same stamp that I stamped into the gesso with I used a waterproof black ink to stamp the image. Because the surface of the gesso was a little shiny I did hit the ink with a heat gun to make it was completely dry.
 
When I first started this canvas I really had no idea what I was going to do once I had completed the background. So at this point I had to stop and think. I had these amazing chipboard pieces that I really had to use. I found a black paint so I could colour the chipboard and set it aside to dry.
 
While the chipboard was drying, I added colour to my background. I used the dylusion spray that was in the kit and added water to make it run. You want to make sure that the colour spreads across you canvas, so that it brings the texture you have created to life. If you add too much water then add more colour and vice versa.

Once happy with the colour added I dry the canvas with a heat gun. Also included in the kit was a gold mousse, that's so versatile. I rubbed it over the background to show more texture, I rubbed it on the chipboard circles. I also added it to the row of triangle but I added it with a palette knife so it was thick and lump.
 
After gluing the chipboard pieces to the canvas, I added black paint splatters. I couldn't find a paint brush at the time so I improvised and used my palette knife. Love the result.
 
I also created a couple of backgrounds.
 

 
These were done on a pieces of mixed media paper, the can be cut up to be used in a layout, another canvas, as an art journal page or even on cards.

Happy Creating
 

No comments:

Post a Comment